I started on a Micropolis build as I’d been building a minifig scale town layout for the past few years, which, as good as it was, had its problems with storage and transportation to shows, due to the sheer size (100 square feet in total when all laid out!).
So, I felt the best way to get the size of city that I intended would be to go micro scale. The first attempt (unfortunately I don’t have any photos) was ok, but I wasn’t happy with the overall look of it. I started with a river through the middle and scenery to one side, but it all got pulled apart to start over again. However, I did keep a few of the buildings to put in the new layout.
It is difficult to master and use different techniques when building so small, but the main element I used for good effect was the headlamp brick (part number 4070) due to the square holes in the base and the back, which can be used upright or on their side.
I’ve gone for real life building colours, like tan, dark tan, dark red, greys, dark orange and white. Building started on this in January 2020 and its current size (7 standard baseplates) was reached in early March, ready for the Leicester NSC show.